I stopped making my own mayonnaise when I was pregnant with Lauren. Due to the current guidelines at the time of runny yolks being a no-no.. this has since been changed! Yet I still hadn't got back into the habit of making mayonnaise. As I sat to my dinner this week I looked at the ingredients on the back of the bottle.
Water, glucose-fructose syrup, sugar... these things don't belong in my mayonnaise!
Once you've made homemade mayonnaise, you'll realise how easy it is and how much tastier it is. I've been reconverted - especially when you can whisk it up in less than the time it takes to boil the kettle. Seriously.
250ml Olive Oil
2 egg yolks
1/2 tsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp lemon juice
Pinch of salt
(Optional extra: minced garlic, tabasco..)
1. Pour some warm water into your bowl and then dry it - you just don't want your bowl to be cold to the touch as it can affect your egg yolk
2. Whisk the yolks only for 30 seconds
3. Add the mustard, lemon juice, salt and optional extras and give that a quick whisk.
4. Boil the kettle
5. Slowly drizzle the oil in whilst continuously whisking. Once you've added about half the olive oil you can drizzle a bit quicker.
6. Once you've added all the olive oil add 1-2 tablespoons of boiling water from the kettle and whisk
7. Store in the fridge in an air tight container - maybe for around a week - I can't remember as it doesn't last long in our house!
VERDICTS AND LAUREN'S TASTE PICS TO COME...